Sunday, February 17, 2008

Nightmares

Maybe this should have been my clue that I'm feeling alot of fear about this, but the night before last I had two nightmares.  I haven't been sleeping particularly well generally, because, seriously, I should really be stockpiling on sleep for the next 9 months.

  • In the first nightmare, I was on a ship.  I think I was on a cruise or something.  The ship was scheduled to have a lifeboat loading drill that night, but it was a dark and stormy night (dun-dun-dunnnnn) and the ship had a near-miss (what we missed, I'm not sure).  After the captain had righted the ship, they decided to proceed with the drill.  We all piled onto the top deck, with the rain pounding down on us and the ship lurching from side to side as it was buffeted by high waves.  I remember thinking that this was a decidedly dangerous time to be running safety drills, but the captain must know best.  All of a sudden, the ship began to tilt, nose first, into the sea.  I've never actually seen the movie Titanic, but the visual of this dream was almost certainly influenced by that scene of people falling into the water as the ship becomes almost vertical.  And then, like those people, I lost my grip and fell into the sea.
  • In the second dream, a kid I didn't know was asking me for help with his English homework.  Specifically, I think he asked me the Seinfeldian question "What's the deal with poetry."  I think my lecture on poetry went on for quite a while, but what I remember is that I started telling him about meter.  I was telling him about Shakespeare's use of iambic pentameter, and I remember giving him the example "Oh WHAT a ROGUE and peas-ANT slave AM i."  I really have no idea what this dream what about ... maybe homework help anxiety 10 years early?

No comments: