Friday, February 15, 2008

Gear Log

The expectant father enjoys the anticipation of a bunch of new gear. The baby-industrial complex is encouraging this, of course, and I'm sure I'll gripe about it extensively in future posts. There is a ton of stuff aimed at the hip dad.
  • Modern strollers are obviously designed with dad in mind (some by Jeep, even), and it's just a matter of time before some enterprising executive gets the idea of introducing stroller model years. You heard it here first, people, before long you're gonna hear yuppie dads in Starbucks exclaim "Ooh! The '09 Bugaboos are out. I gotta get me to a dealership!"
  • Don't leave home without your badass diaper bag (here's my fave), because really, what says "I'm still cool even though I drive a minivan!" quite like a skull and crossbones messenger bag full of fresh poopcatchers.
  • What proud papa wouldn't want to gird his kid's loins with his favourite team logo?

But for my money, gear-wise, there's no better time to justify to yourself and your partner that it's time to invest in that new camera you've had your eye on. Come on, treat yourself: it's not for you, it's so that the family can document your little miracle! And why wait until the baby is born? As Hillary Clinton might say: honey, don't you want a photographer who's ready on day one? That's the only reason I want to get that Nikon D300!

Mmmm ... D300 ....

No comments: